Samstag, 27. Januar 2024

Austrian units for the WPS

Building up my initial army for the WAS I used the paintings by David Morier [1]. I have to say, that I just prefer contemporary pictures as a source for painting, although for example Morier shows grenadiers only. My first idea was to paint all the regiments which were present at the siege of Freiburg under the command of FZM Damnitz [2]. Besides I tried to find units which fought in as many battles as possible for example at Dettingen and Rocoux [3].


A new general for my Austrians before the final steps. I used the officer from the French Musketeers set by Strelets [4]. The pattern of the uniform might not be correct. But paintings of less famous Austrian generals are really rare and hard to find. It seems to me that generals still could wear nearly what they chose although a coat similar the uniform of their own regiment was typical for the period. We even find sometimes generals in red uniforms. (photo: André Hanselmann, 2024)


Meanwhile I changed my focus towards the War of the Polish Succession. The Austrians there fought alone against the French and Piedmont armies and therefore I need some more units. None of them will be needed for my WAS-battles. My favorite source is Gudenus. I use the book by Hans Bleckwenn [5]. There are grenadiers only but all details are very nice. You may argue, that these regiments had little action in battle during the war [6]. That's true. But I don't know a better fitting source. I tried to chose the regiments with uniforms which fit with the pattern of my figures by the HäT-company, which were produced for the Seven Years war. Therefore I have chosen: Walsegg, Müffling, Hessen-Kassel and Jung-Württemberg (duke Ludwig).

 

Text: André Hanselmann

Photo: André Hanselmann 


Notes:

1) I can recommend the homepage of the Royal Collection.

2) See here for more informations: https://wackershofenannodomini.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-siege-of-freiburg-in-1744-part-1.html

3) I just searched on the kronoskaf homepage for the history of the regiments.

4) French Guards Musketeers (WSS) Strelets-R 24272

5) Hans Bleckwenn: "Reiter, Husaren und Grenadiere" Hardenberg Kommunikation, Dortmund, 1979

6) Gudenus saw the Imperial army at Heilbronn which fought only at Klausen in 1735.


2 Kommentare:

  1. You are off to a good start! I actually uncovered a copy of Bleckwenn tucked away on one of my bookshelves. When did I buy that???

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. No idea. But I'm glad that you found it. The text in the book is not so much usefull, that you miss something, when you can't read it.

    AntwortenLöschen