Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2019

New content

I decided, that I will change the blog slightly.

The blog will report further about our events, but I would like to offer more diversity.

By the way I noticed that most of the questions and all comments were in English. Therefore I will write some posts in English only.

I have to confess that I really much like the style of Jonathan Freitag's blog Palouse Wargaming Journal for example with a wide range of postings about wargaming and historical sides in Europe as well. Especially his studies and analyzes about several battles like Mollwitz are fascinating.

Some of our blogentries have some similarities with Kyle Dalton's excellent blog "British Tars, 1740-1790", which is in his way quiet unique, as it is very narrowly focussed on the period and the main subject.
Occassionally we noticed that not our blogposts about our own events and research for them had the luck to attain the most attention of our readers but entries like our battlefieldwalks at Simbach for example (although the battle had some correlation with our encounter at Übrigshausen in 1743).

As most of you maybe had recognized we added more and more information about the 17th century period, because there is very much to research about that period since we organize an event yearly in the highly interesting open air museum Wackershofen.



But now to something different. I noticed two stones with dates engraved in Freiburg. One example is next to the Schwabentorbrücke.


What happened here in 1609?

The other stone is in the Augustinergasse in the old town of Freiburg. The canonball (?) beneath the stone with the date is especially remarkable.


The remnant of an archway of 1619?


Which context we will find?


To use contemporary pictures sometimes are problematic. Therefore we will maybe use pictures with model figures to illustrate historical incidents like the march of the Spaniards through Swabia.


What do you think of my idea to use figures and tabletop?


Text: André Hanselmann
Photos: André Hanselmann


2 Kommentare:

  1. I much appreciate your kind words regarding the Palouse Wargaming Journal. Since I am unfortunately not multilingual, posting in English is much preferred. You did always post English translations which was helpful and much appreciated. Very interesting photo of the cannonball embedded within the wall.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Many thanks.

      It was too much of work to write every posting in German and English as well.

      I decided that it is better to have a flow of new postings than to invest too much in the style of my writing and the design.

      I'm delighted that you are so kind to share your opinion.

      Löschen